Wednesday, November 2, 2022

Eight Values of Free Expression

    There are a plethora of values that have been implemented throughout America's time, that have separated them from other countries. Out of all the speech theories and or values that have molded this country, the one that resonates the most with me would be the freedom of speech, or in this case, "protect innovation." Which can be defined as "a community in which free speech is valued and protected is likely to be a more energized, creative, interesting society as its citizen actively fulfill themselves in many diverse and interesting ways" 

    Personally, I would claim that this speech theory resonates with me the most because every day I utilize the value of this free expression. This freedom enables me to speak my free, open, mind so that many others may disagree with what I say. In addition, having the freedom of speech allows me, and everybody else the right to criticize the government's policies. The government has implemented policies, and sometimes, I feel that the policies that they have implemented on society, I do not agree with, therefore I am able to express the way that I feel about that, due to me having the ability of free speech. 

  


The speech theories that I believe are most important are the theories of Protect Dissent, and Individual Self-fulfillment. Both these theories fall under the same categories of free speech, which ties my favorite right that I am entitled to as American citizen. With the factor of individual self-fullment, you establish who you are as a person by expressing yourself, which I feel important each day. Each person in this country has value in what point of view that they have pertaining a certain issue and or topic. Having the ability of Individual self-fulfillment and the theory to protect dissent, offer the astonishing right to express ad vocalize your thoughts and opinions towards anything in the world, without repercussion . With that being said, hate speech is not a legal term in the United States of America. 



  Out of all the speech theories that have been outlined, I would state that the one that feel most personal to me would be the theory of "Promote Innovation". This speaks on how a community in which free speech is valued and protected. This is most applicable to me because I hold an executive leadership position for my Greek Community, on how High Point Universityies campus. I have the ability to speak my mind in a community, where my word is valued and is highly protected. I thank the U.S. government for grantignme that freedom everyday, to speak my mind, and to have my word protected by the government.   


In today's day and age, I see the theory of "promote innovation", to be most utilized. There are a multitude of incidents where people in this world do not agree with a certain law, or agree with the outcome fo certain event, and begin to protest what they believe, and argue for what should be done. Instances like the Dobbs v. Jackson Abortion case, throughout that time period, people skipped work on a Friday in protest of the Supreme Court decision overturning the constitutional to an abortion. Women spoke and protested to how they felt about this given outcome, they utilized this value of innovation to have free speech and have in be protected within  a community. Another monumental event where someone has utilized would be famous, March on Washington speech given by, Martin Luther King Jr. This was the speech that remains one of the famous and important events in all of history. This speech clearly demonstrates the value that is given when one is able to express how they feel about a given topic or issue, the right to express yourself and create ones own identity is a powerful right that we as American Citizens are entitled to. Thsi right has granted only positive outcomes, and have allowed indivueals to speak their mind on how they feel, and to convey to the world their expressive opinion. 



No comments:

Post a Comment